Ode to a Nightingale

Brian Finnerty

9/11/12

“Ode to a Nightingale”

Before reading  Keat’s poem, “Ode to a Nightingale”, I looked up what the meaning

of Nightingale meant. Nightingale is a “small European thrush with brownish plumage. A

nightingale is a bird. In the poem the speaker hears of this nightingale singing in a forest.

From reading the poem I believe the main theme is life and death and how death will

eventually come one day for all of us. I picked up on the distinct relationship between the

nightingale and the speaker in the poem. Throughout the entire poem the speaker listens

to the nightingale sing away into the night. One hotspot that I find in the poem in the line,

“That I might drink, and leave the world unseen, And with thee fade away into the forest

dim”. I believe this line is backing up my statement made about the main theme which

happens to be about life and death and being afraid to die. From reading the poem I came

to the conclusion that the nightingale is dying and it is perfectly content with it. On the

other hand the speaker can not realize this and does not want to face that death will creep

up on us at one point for everyone. He turns to drinking to face his problems in the forest.

At the end of the poem we as readers detect that the speaker now does not know if he is

dreaming or not. “Was it a vision or a walking dream”. I believe Keat is showing the

readers that some can face the realization that death is coming and some can not. I agree

with his main point and believe that everyone faces their fears a different way.

One Response to Ode to a Nightingale

1. vps says:

Want to make more money with your blog? http://tiny.cc/cq99uw